July 8, 2012

Chicken Coop-et


It’s all about timing… The Chicken coop was started before we got the chicks. The first home for the chicks was a plastic storage container that became their brooder. We soon realized after the second week they were growing as we watched. So I had to put the main chicken coop on hold for a day and build what we called the coop-et (a bigger brooder) to move the chicks into until the chicken coop was ready. I basically built a big crate that was approximately 24” x 24” X 40”. Size was determined by using one sheet of plywood.

  

  



I framed the sides with boards I ripped down to 1 5/8” wide. If you use power tools always follow all safety instructions.











Corners were joined using corrugated fasteners, I used ¼” plywood for the panels. I used white glue and number 2 common nails to attach to the frame. Always square up the frame before attaching the panel. White or carpenter glue makes a stronger panel.





I used 1 5/8” zip screws to assemble the ends and sides plus the bottom. I used screws in case I wanted to disassemble. Tip- I drilled small pilot holes to keep the wood from splitting and used a beveled counter sink it in order to keep the screw heads flush.













The topside was an open frame.















-->  

I attached chicken wire to the top with heavy-duty stables and added ¼” plywood gussets on the corners to add strength and keep the top square.  

























-->
Two recycled hinges were used to attach the top to the base to allow easy opening.



















For the perches, I cut out two ¾” plywood boards and notched out a slot for a ¾” wooden dowel. They were attached on both sides of the sides.





















-->
The chicks went into the coop-et at around 2 weeks. . We used wood shavings from a local carpenter mill shop for the bottom. Also added was a little log so they could play on it.





As they continued to grow, their poop grew in size. So cleaning out was more frequent.






















--> After the chicks made their big move to the chicken coop we put the original chicken brooder and coop-et to work as storage for wood shavings and straw.  











 
And… keep them covered to protect from the weather.

Harry - 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments please ... comments are the learning part for us!